I’m an enthusiastic traveler and writer with a penchant for exploring regional cuisines and tasting my way through cultures. I’m a food lover with a burning curiosity about food trends and how they relate to deeply engrained food cultures on a global scale.
Two years ago…
I quit my job in Washington, D.C. and packed my suitcases to move to Aix-en-Provence, France. Since then, I’ve hiked the coast of the Mediterranean in France and Italy, climbed towers in Spain, learned how to taste on a dairy farm in France, and have been on the hunt for the perfect chai recipe ever since I drank it under the stars in Rajasthan, India.
It was the start of an incredible adventure.
Now, I am the editorial assistant to food writer and author Clotilde Dusoulier in Paris, while working on my masters in global communications at the American University of Paris. For the past nine months, I’ve been researching refugees in Paris who use cuisine from their homeland as a way to communicate and integrate into French society.
On the blog…
I share stories from life wherever I’m living it at the moment. Whether I’m in India or London or at my studio in Paris, there is always a new dish to try, a new spice to pinch, and, of course, always something to snark about.
Do you have a question about teaching or studying in France or have another inquiry? Please email me — I’d love to hear from you.
My writing can be found beyond Hardly Snarky. These are some of my favorite clips:
- Paste Magazine: 10 American Foods I Missed in France
- Paste Magazine: How to Change the (Food) World
- Paste Magazine: Recreating Julia Child’s Lunch at La Couronne
- Paste Magazine: 7 Spots for Vegan Eats in Paris
- National Geographic Intelligent Travel: I Heart My City: Anne’s Aix-en-Provence
- Chocolate & Zucchini: Terroir Products: What to Eat in the Jura
- Chocolate & Zucchini VF: Produits de Terroir: Ce qu’il faut goûter dans le Jura
- My French Life: Faces of the French Market in Aix-en-Provence
- My French Life: Cézanne in Aix-en-Provence: A Painter’s Pilgrimage
- Medium: ‘Farm-to-Table’ is a Necessary Return to Tradition in France
- Peacock Plume: Gentrification Comes to Paris — But At What Cost?
- The Free Lance-Star: Cirque du Soleil brings a world of wonder with ‘Varekai’ to EagleBank Arena
- The Free Lance-Star: Release your inner kid with this soaring production of ‘Peter Pan’
- The Free Lance-Star: Ditch the cold with these warm escapes
- The Free Lance-Star: Just Desserts
Interviews & Features
- Our Paris Stories: Hardly Snarky’s Anne Elder in Montmartre
- Lou in Paris: LouLou Meets Anne Elder
- Food Lover Tour blog: Foodies Like You and Me: Anne Elder
Curious what inspires me? Visit my pin board dedicated to sharing my interests and values.